Punting in Cambridge during COVID-19
Punting in Cambridge Reopening
With COVID restrictions being removed in the UK from the 1st of April 2022 we have updated our COVID-19 policy accordingly.
Please see below our services that are currently operating.
- PRIVATE TOURS – A private 50-minute tour for up to a maximum of 12 passengers. Multiple boats can be purchased for larger groups.
- SHARED TOURS – Book for up to 2, 3, 6 or 9 people and join a 45-50 minute tour. Your group will have their own row or be in their own section of the boat. If purchasing a ticket for 2, 3 or 9 people you may be seated opposite another group.
- PICNIC PUNTING – Punting add on’s like picnic’s can be booked together with your chauffeured punt tours of the College Backs. This punting extra allows your group to enjoy an alfresco dining experience on board a traditional punt along the most scenic river in the UK.
- SPECIAL EVENTS – Events are now taking place in 2022 like our Easter Punt and Hunt or Christmas Carols on the river. Keep an eye out for our up and coming Special Punting Events for this year.
All bookings can be made online or by calling us on 01223 782306.
When booking a Cambridge Punting Tour you will select your tour type, group size and departure time. Please not that late arrivals will result in a missed tour.
We advise booking in advance as our on-the-day availability is likely to be limited. What’s more, our online rates are cheaper too.
Under the current guidance (1st April 2022) there are no longer any COVID-19 restrictions inplace. Our staff will continue to practice good hygiene cleaning the boats regularly.
COVID-19 – Updated reschedule & refund policy.
- As of April 2022, we have updated our COVID-19 refund & reschedule policy.
- Our normal cancellation policy applies to all bookings – more information can be found here: Terms & Conditions.
- If you or one of your party tests positive for COVID-19 you will be eligible for a full refund (or credit note) as long as you let us know by 9 am on the day of your tour at the latest and provide proof of a positive COVID-19 status (PCR result or LFT result uploaded on the NHS website).
Since the start of the pandemic we, at the Traditional Punting Company, have and will continue to review risk assessments and operating procedures on a daily basis, together with making amendments where necessary in line with any change in government advice.
What are we doing?
The boat and seat cushions will be cleaned between each tour.
A text messaging system has been implemented to prevent queues and crowds at our punting station. Customers will be sent a message, alerting them when to make their way over to our punting tour departure (all of this will be explained on your email confirmation, or alternatively please call us for further information).
Please note we have removed all of our perspex screens due to social distancing measures being removed by the government.
What can you do?
Book online in advance and follow the instructions on your booking confirmation.
Clean/sanitise your hands before boarding and after your tour.
Try to maintain social distancing on Jesus Green whilst waiting to board.
Disembark promptly at the end of your tour and move away from the disembarking area.
Take any rubbish (empty food and drink waste) with you and dispose of it safely.
- 1. How do I make a booking?
For our Shared Punting Tour you will be able to purchase a row/s of seats on a shared punt. For this tour you will select a ticket for up to 2, 3, 6 or 9 people and only your group will be sat together in your specified area/row of the boat.
For our Private Cambridge Punting Tour you will select a boat/s for either for up to 2, 6 or 12 people.
Whilst making a booking online you’ll select your booking date and time before proceeding to make a payment. If the date and time is currently showing as sold-out online give us a call on 01223 782306 to check availability. Our dynamic pricing structure gives you the best price available for a specific date and time – earlier departure in the day are always the cheapest.
- 2. What about if I need to make a cancellation due to COVID19?
Whilst our normal cancellation policy applies we are making the following amendments: if you or one of your party tests positive for COVID-19 you will be eligible for a full refund (or credit note) as long as you let us know by 9 am on the day of your tour at the latest and provide proof of a positive COVID-19 status (PCR result or LFT result uploaded on the NHS website).
- 3. Can I book for a future date?
- 4. Can I bring my dog along for the ride?
Yes, you are more than welcome to bring your furry friend on board, we love it when dogs come punting. If you are opting for a shared tour and your dog is on the larger size (cannot sit on ones lap), then they’ll also need to be counted in the group size selected. For instance if you are a couple bringing your dog along and they are on the bigger size then you’ll need to book the up to 3 person option and give us a call after making the booking online so we can ensure you all will have enough room to enjoy your chauffeur punt tour here in Cambridge.
If you are looking at booking a punting tour and not sure on the date or would like to surprise someone else then our Cambridge Punting Gift Vouchers are available to purchase. If this is something you are interested in please contact us for more information.
We hope this information has provided you with the answers to our punting in Cambridge operation during COVID-19. If you would like more information on our new safety measures please check out our COVID-19 Comeback page. But, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any further questions regarding our Cambridge Punting operation during 2022.